The National Retail Association (NRA) has launched its new-look annual awards program, with a strong focus on inclusion and celebrating diversity, recognising not only retail businesses, but the people behind them.
The 2017 awards will recognise people and businesses at all levels of the industry – from fast food franchisees to fashion chains; from young retailers under 25 years to store managers and leaders within the industry.
NRA CEO Dominique Lamb said the National Retail Awards will reflect the diversity of the Australian retail industry, which is one of the most significant contributors to the of the national economy.
“The NRA has almost doubled the number of categories this year, to make sure all entrants are standing against their real-world competitors, competing on their merits (regardless of size or channel), and to better reflect increasing diversity and innovation in the sector,” she said.
“We’re calling on Australian retailers to put their hands up, or to nominate their staff or colleagues.”
Last year the 2016 Retailer of the Year supreme award was taken out by the team at Michel’s Patisserie Toronto, who also won Franchisee of the Year.
Nominations are now open for the 22 award categories, with individual, category and champion awards:
- Young Retailer of the Year
- Store Manager of the Year – NEW
- Franchisee of the Year
- Outstanding Contribution to the Industry – NEW
Category Retailer Awards – NEW
- Apparel Retailer of the Year
- Food Retailer of the Year
- Beverage Retailer of the Year
- Health / Beauty Retailer of the Year
- Entertainment Retailer of the Year
- Jewellery Retailer of the Year
- Shoes / Accessories Retailer of the Year
- Computers / Electronics Retailer of the Year
- Sports / Recreation Retailer of the Year
- Garden / Home Improvement Retailer of the Year
- Furniture / Homewares Retailer of the Year
- Newsagency Retailer of the Year
- Multi-category Retailer of the Year
- Specialty Retailer of the Year
- Customer Experience Champion – NEW
- Social Responsibility Champion – NEW
- Innovation Champion
- People Champion
The winners from the Category Retailer of the Year and Champion awards will be judged against each other with one winner being crowned of 2017 Retailer of the Year.
In a new twist this year, every business who enters the Category Retailer of the Year and Champion awards will automatically be in the running for 2017 People’s Choice Retailer of the Year. This is judged by the public via an online voting portal and the winner will receive $5000 cash.
Nominations close 28 July.
If you’d like more information, please head to the National Retail Awards website or phone 1800 RETAIL.